IN PROXIMITY is a podcast from Proximity Media about craft, career, and creativity. Listen below or on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or your favorite podcast app. We’re also on YouTube. New episodes every Sunday.
Tessa Thompson has starred in television shows, independent films, and blockbuster Hollywood movies like Selma, Dear White People, Westworld, Thor: Ragnarok, Thor: Love and Thunder, and the Creed trilogy. She is also a producer and entrepreneur as the founder of the production company Viva Maude. She speaks with Proximity Media’s head of television Kalia King about navigating the ins and outs of the entertainment industry including attending general meetings (1:18), the importance of finding your people (7:50), career transitions from acting to producing (10:37), reality TV (13:47), authentic storytelling (19:10), and their Prox Recs (26:55). Read the transcript here.
From Fruitvale Station to Black Panther to Creed III, Michael B. Jordan and Ryan Coogler’s cinematic partnership has shaped culture and broken box-office records. They reflect on their first meeting for Fruitvale Station (2:41), going to their first boxing match to prep for Creed I (12:39), what they’ve learned from building and running their own production companies (16:14), and their Prox Recs (27:57). Read the transcript here.
IN PROXIMITY features conversations between key Proximity executives and collaborators, providing listeners with a deep dive into the creative process of making movies, television, music, podcasts, and more, as well as a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the multimedia company’s highly acclaimed projects and future titles.
- Actor, producer, director Michael B. Jordan and Proximity founder and writer/director/producer Ryan Coogler;
- Actor, producer, and Viva Maude founder Tessa Thompson and Proximity head of television Kalia King;
- Actor/poet Jonathan Majors and CREED III associate producer and Proximity creative executive D’Angelo “D’Lo” Louis;
- 99% Invisible host/creator and Radiotopia founder Roman Mars and Ryan Coogler;
- Writer/director Aneesh Chaganty (SEARCHING, RUN) and Proximity founder and writer/producer Sev Ohanian;
- Film composer and pianist Kris Bowers and director, Proximity co-founder, and head of nonfiction Pete Nicks;
- Def Jam Recordings CEO and Chairman Tunji Balogun and Def Jam Recordings Chief Creative Officer and Proximity co-founder and co-head of music Archie Davis; and
- MACRO founder and CEO Charles D. King and Ryan Coogler;
- And more to come
Producer: Paola Mardo
Executive Producers: Ryan Coogler, Zinzi Coogler, Sev Ohanian, Paola Mardo
Theme Song and Additional Music: Ludwig Göransson
Sound Designer & Mix Engineer: Ken Nana
Production Assistant: Polina Cherezova
Editors: Cameron Kell, Cedric Wilson, Judybelle Camangyan, Shana Daloria
Artwork: Alexandria Santana